British Values have to be promoted by every school in England. These values are:
- The rule of law,
- Individual liberty
- The mutual respect and tolerance of each other’s faiths
- Delivering SMSC development and the promotion of British Values is now part of the core purpose of schools alongside academic achievement and will be part of any Ofsted Inspection.
- Promoting British values as part of the whole school climate and ethos, the classroom practice and pedagogy and the formal and the informal curriculum
- Schools must develop their provision for promoting fundamental British values by taking account of their particular context as well as a wider understanding of life in modern Britain.
- British Values are integral to the professional behaviours expected of teachers.
The school has a duty to safeguard all pupils from radicalisation and extremism and give ‘due regard’ to the Prevent duty. Promoting British Values is a component of this.